Wednesday, October 21, 2009

To watch

Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway. (Prov. 8:34 NIV)

The LORD said to me, "You have seen correctly, for I am watching to see that my word is fulfilled." (Jer. 1:12 NIV)

My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning. (Ps. 130:6 NIV)

It will be good for those servants whose master finds them watching when he comes. I tell you the truth, he will dress himself to serve, will have them recline at the table and will come and wait on them. (Luke 12:37 NIV)


I have been trying for the last few days to figure out what this week's prayer is supposed to be. All I have is "watch" - like "be watchful" or "watch for the Lord." I don't know exactly what that is supposed to mean, so I guess my prayer will just be in that direction.


God who watches over your Creation
God who loves your Created
God who seeks and saves the Lost
Hear our prayers...

Help us be watchful...
...for opportunities to share the Gospel
...for times to share love and grace
...for the leading of the Spirit
...for answers to hard questions
...for new ways of thinking about things
...for ways in which you are doing a New Thing in, through, and among us
...for your return. Lord Jesus, Maranatha - come quickly.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment