Tuesday, January 19, 2010

While I'm Waiting

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait

I will move ahead, bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience
While I'm waiting
I will serve You
While I'm waiting
I will worship
While I'm waiting
I will not faint
I'll be running the race
Even while I wait

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am peaceful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it's not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
Yes, I will wait
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve you while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting on You, Lord*


22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. (Gal. 5 NIV)

28-30"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." (Mt. 11 MSG)

26-28Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good. (Mt. 8 MSG)


This day I am in a period of waiting -- sort of like waiting for the other shoe to drop but with some spiritual implications. My waiting also involves surrendering my hopes, dreams, and will to the God of the universe. His ways and thoughts are higher than mine (Isa. 55:9), he gives good gifts to his children (Luke 11:13), he calls us to give him our worries and to take on his "unforced rhythms of grace."



So we pray....

God of the Universe whose ways are perfect, we say "yes" and "amen" to your plan for our lives. Help us to trust you for all things, knowing that you want good for us. Today my husband and I wait to hear whether the offer on our new house is accepted. Grant us patience and peace. Today we wait for the results of voting for a Senate seat from Massachusetts, a race that has implications for the whole nation. Help us remember this country - these people - this race is all in your plan and that all things work together for good for those that love you. Today our church waits to see if a pastor we have called to ministry will say "yes" to our call. In our individual lives we wait - for an interim time to conclude, for a house to sell, for a call to be clarified, for babies to be born, for questions to be answered, for the infirm to be released into heaven. Help us remember as we wait that you are in the waiting. Empower us by your Spirit to grow in our capacity to wait with you. Help us remain hopeful, to serve you, to worship you, to be at peace. In the strong name of Christ I pray. Amen.




* "While I'm Waiting" by John Waller
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb7TSGptd3Y

No comments:

Post a Comment