Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Align, Abide

I recently began my journey through "The Message" version of the Book of John. A few nights ago I was reading the story of Jesus' feeding of the thousands and the subsequent conversation where Jesus names himself the Bread of Life and the people still want more 'proof.' What struck me in this version of the story was the word "align."
Jesus said, "I am the Bread of Life. The person who aligns with me hungers no more and thirsts no more, ever. I have told you this explicitly because even though you have seen me in action, you don't really believe me. Every person the Father gives me eventually comes running to me. And once that person is with me, I hold on and don't let go. I came down from heaven not to follow my own whim but to accomplish the will of the One who sent me...This is what my Father wants: that anyone who sees the Son and trusts who he is and what he does and then aligns with him will enter real life, eternal life. My part is to put them on their feet alive and whole at the completion of time."
The word "align" has several different definitions that I think can apply to our faith:
1. To arrange in a line or so as to be parallel
2. To adjust (parts of a mechanism, for example) to produce a proper relationship or orientation
3. To ally (oneself, for example) with one side of an argument or cause
1. To adhere to a prescribed course of action.
2. To move or be adjusted into proper relationship or orientation. (thefreedictionary.com)
Are our lives arranged so they are parallel with Christ, so we are in proper relationship and allied to his cause?
Are our spirits adhered to His course of action and are we willing to be moved and adjusted to a proper orientation?
Sometimes those are hard questions to get gut honest with.
"Align" brings me to "abide."
1"I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. 9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love.10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. (John 15 ESV)
I'm not sure I can add anything more to this. When Jesus uses a word ten times in the same paragraph, I think he wants us to hear it...!
So, we pray....
God of the Universe,
Thank you for being the Bread of Life, the One who promises that when we align with you, we will hunger and thirst no more. Forgive us for the times in which we have seen you in action, but have not quite believed. We come running to you and trust that you will hold on and not let go. We desire to align with you, to enter real life, eternal life. Thank you for putting us on our feet alive and prepared to be whole at the completion of time. God, we want to abide in you, to bear fruit - even to let you prune us for greater fruitfulness. Give us courage to allow you to do that work. We want to abide in your love and to keep your commandments. We want to have the fullness of your joy. By your Spirit, continue to draw us toward your love, joy, and peace and live the abundant life you have called us to. Maranatha, Lord, come soon..... In Christ's name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment