Thursday, December 24, 2009

A new look at Christmas

A friend send me this as her Christmas greeting today. I think it's really good - so appropriate for where we are. I share it and pray, too, for a new, real, Holy Spirit-led unity, mercy, and grace to fall upon us.


Something happened this year, I am not sure what. The economy crashed. We were daily deluged with news of wars, rumors of wars, global warming and pending environmental catastrophe. We watched politicians battle in ways that cause children to be sent to their rooms, or students to be kept after school in detention halls. My job became overwhelmingly stressful. It rained much of the summer... I don't know, something.... Suddenly it is Christmas Eve, and I have not made cards or baked, have not put on Christmas music, have not felt that "Christmas Spirit" that usually comes to my heart this time of year.
So this morning I am pausing for an attitude adjustment. I step back and consider this beautiful planet, all the peoples on her, and all the sources of hope they are. It is my faith that God is, that God is watching, and that everywhere a human soul looks up and opens their heart, right there the Spirit can enter the fray of all our troubles - with kindness, compassion, giving, innovation, creativity, solution. I am sure the answers for all the woes that plague us exist in God. They just need to be found, discovered, implemented by those who will stop the rushing about and hear/heed the Spirit's whisper.
It is my prayer for you all this Christmas Eve that you will join me in stopping for a minute to just listen, listen for the Voice of Spirit, the Voice that is always there trying to give us our answers. As Christ said, "Let those who have ears, listen."

No comments:

Post a Comment