Sunday, March 14, 2010

Hands full

Last week one of our new neighbors came over to introduce herself and, in the course of the conversation, I mentioned we have four boys age five and under. Her response was one that I've heard from lots of people: "WOW! You have your hands full!!"

Even though the phrase gives me a chuckle, I know that when someone says this they are acknowledging the busy-ness of caring for four young children, the effort that goes into that, and the tasks that have to be performed. (Like the current pile of laundry awaiting me....) But the phrase itself struck me as interesting. What does it mean to "have ones' hands full?" I mean, really, isn't having our hands full a good thing?

I think it is. Aren't we blessed to have these four young lives to guide to physical, emotional, and spiritual maturity? Aren't we blessed to have our hands full with a new, larger home and the work that comes with it? Aren't we blessed to have our spiritual hands full in the ways we are challenged by Jesus to care for the lost, the ill, the broken, the enslaved?

In Psalm 23 the Psalmist says that "My cup overflows." Isn't that pretty similar? My hands are full, some days with kitchen counters of dishes, baskets of laundry, and (right now) piles of boxes to unpack. Yet, my cup is overflowing - with snuggles, hugs, kisses, and "I love you, Mom."

Sometimes having your hands full is not a good thing - there's "too much on your plate," or "too many balls in the air," or life is just "throwing lemons at you." But, sometimes having your hands full is a reminder of the blessing of the abundant - full - life Jesus calls us to in John 10:10. God doesn't give us more than we can handle with his help - whether the "more" is goods stuff or hard stuff. And when it's good stuff we should rejoice! Our cup overflows and this is God's mercy and grace upon us! Amen & amen!

God, Goodness and mercy do follow us through our lives; thank you for the gift of grace upon grace. Thank you for lives that overflow - with health, energy, calling, and giftedness. Thank you for cups that overflow - for homes, families, friends, and blessings. Thank you for hands that are full and lives that can serve you. When we feel like we wander in desert, keep us mindful of how you kept the hands of the Israelites full of manna & quail as they wandered in the desert. Keep us mindful of how as Mary "pondered these things in her heart," she held in her hands the Son of God - and, we too, should ponder the gifts we are given. Keep us mindful of you and how your hands were full of our sin when you hung on the cross. Remind us that whatever our hands are full of, you as the Creator of the Universe, indeed, have the whole world in your hands. Thank you for being our provision, our guide, our comforter, our strength, and our Light. In Christ's name we pray. Amen.


The Stand
You stood before creation
Eternity in Your hand
You spoke the earth into motion
My soul now to stand

So I'll stand
With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One who gave it all
I'll stand My soul Lord to You surrendered
All I am is Yours

You stood before my failure
And carried the cross for my shame
My sin weighed upon Your shoulders
My soul now to stand

So I'll stand
With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One who gave it all
I'll stand My soul Lord to You surrendered
All I am is Yours

© 2005 Hillsong Publishing (Admin. in U.S. & Canada by Integrity's Hosanna! Music)
Joel Houston


No comments:

Post a Comment