Monday, April 12, 2010

Every Season

"Every Season" by Nicole Nordeman


Every evening sky, an invitation
To trace the patterned stars
And early in July, a celebration
For freedom that is ours
And I notice You
In children’s games
In those who watch them from the shade
Every drop of sun is full of fun and wonder
You are summer

And even when the trees have just surrendered
To the harvest time
Forfeiting their leaves in late September
And sending us inside
Still I notice You when change begins
And I am braced for colder winds
I will offer thanks for what has been and was to come
You are autumn

And everything in time and under heaven
Finally falls asleep
Wrapped in blankets white, all creation
Shivers underneath
And still I notice you
When branches crack
And in my breath on frosted glass
Even now in death, You open doors for life to enter
You are winter

And everything that’s new has bravely surfaced
Teaching us to breathe
What was frozen through is newly purposed
Turning all things green
So it is with You
And how You make me new
With every season’s change
And so it will be
As You are re-creating me

Summer, autumn, winter, spring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dwpdZdvCl8&feature=PlayList&p=12234E01DDC3B046&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=12


Several years ago I attended a conference that started with a "heart check" - how's the state of your relationship with God? The speaker talked about life, especially our spiritual life, as having seasons - spring (new life beginning), summer (great life), fall (transition/things falling apart or dying), winter (spiritual hibernation/death). I have experienced at different times each of those seasons. The fall and winter ones are really hard, but often have the most beautiful and unexpected blessings. The beginning of a spiritual spring or summer can be hard to recognize - sometimes we don't want to believe it or we don't even realize it's come. And yet those spring and summer times are great times of living life to the full. The writer of Ecclesiastes says that "there is a season for everything under heaven" (3:1) and that "there is nothing new under the sun" (1:9). So, I (we) are not the only ones who believe life has seasons.

I was thinking about writing on the "abundant life" this week. In John 10:10 Jesus said he came to give us life more abundant - life to the full. I've been thinking lately that I am living that abundance, at least as much as we can here on earth. It dawned on me that I am in a "summer" season of life - home life, kids, marriage, church, friends, etc. all are basically great. Realistically, I know that things change. But I also recognize that I need to appreciate, enjoy, and relish this piece of (earthly) abundant life. Life IS good. So, it would be easy to write and celebrate my slice of today's abundant life.

But tonight I had an email conversation with a friend whose life is in a huge fall stage - in some ways "falling apart." Choices and circumstances combine in such a way that this friend is having trouble recognizing where the abundant life is in the midst of the chaos. Even as I can (and should) celebrate my summer season - giving thanks to God for this gift - my friend's fall season is heavy on my heart.

God is able to speak, move, exhort, and bless us in whatever season we are in. And we should give thanks that God IS in every season. So we pray...



God of all seasons, all places, all times,

We thank you for being the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Thank you for your faithfulness and that your promises are true. Thank you for watching over us, loving us no matter what, and offering grace & mercy. Thank you for celebrating with us, for helping us absorb change, for carrying us when we are too tired or broken or confused to walk for ourselves.

We pray for those who are in fall seasons of life...bracing for colder winds & change...

For those trudging through winter seasons...wating for opening doors and for life to enter...

For those, perhaps unknowingly, starting to see spring arise...and realizing you are making all things new...

And for those who are living a spiritual summer...for those immersed in fun and wonder...

Help us embrace your abundant life in every season of our lives.
In Christ's name we pray,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment