Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter: So What? OR Salvation Spring Up

"Lord, let salvation spring up within my children, that they may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory." (Isaiah 45:8, 2 Timothy 2:10).

"I pray that my children may grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." (2 Peter 3:18).

"Grant, Lord, that my children may learn to live a life of love, through the Spirit who dwells in them." (Galatians 5:25, Ephesians 5:2).


"It's Easter. So what?" our pastor said yesterday. I wonder how many non-church people thought that. I was driving between church & home about 9:15 a.m. and saw two different people out jogging. Perhaps they'd already been or were planning to go to church, but it seemed strange to think of not being in church on Easter.

Last week my best friend from 5th-10th grade contacted me on Facebook and wanted to be my "friend." Being somewhat curious as to whatever happened to her, I said yes. Then I got to looking around her FB posts, which led me to other "friends" of hers on FB - some of whom I was in high school with and I've long since lost touch with.

Twenty years later the 41 of us in our class have, as expected, traveled different life paths. Inferring (or judging) from the FB posts of some of them, they are not Christians, or at least aren't living a life of Salt & Light. One's FB talks about Buddha....another going out drinking to forget the ex-spouse...but another surprises me by putting "He Is Risen!" up as a post. "Easter. So what?" could very well be what some of them had been thinking. [Insert all appropriate disclaimers to what I don't know, how God sees things, what may be going on behind the scenes....]

The reason I bring this up is because I have been wondering lately about who we will see in heaven. I spent 13 years of my life with most of the kids I graduated with. But will they be in heaven?

Several months ago I began to pray over my children the "31 Biblical Virtures to Pray for Your Kids" by Bob Hostetler. The Isa. 45:8 and Charlie Hall's song "Salvation" has been my prayer - that Christ's salvation would "spring up" in my children so that I would someday see them in heaven.

And now I have a new 'burden' - for people whose lives my life path has crossed but are not living a life of love in the grace and peace of Jesus Christ. I'm not sure what to do, except pray, but I do hope I will see them in heaven.


God, we know you want to gather all your children to yourself. We know you came to seek and save the lost and your heart aches for those who reject you. You said you came to give the abundant life in Christ and we praise and thank you for that gift. But today our prayer is for those who do not yet know you.

Salvation, spring up from the ground
Lord, rend the heavens and come down
Seek the lost and heal the lame
Jesus, bring glory to Your name

Let all the prodigals run home
All of creation waits and groans
Lord, we've heard of Your great fame
Father, cause all to shout Your name

Stir up our hearts, Oh God
Open our spirits to awe who You are
Put a cry in us so deep inside
That we cannot find the words we need
We just weep and cry out to You*

By your Spirit, draw your loved ones to you. Use us for your glory so that when every knee bows and every tongue confesses you are Lord, there is no one missing. Seek the lost; heal the lame; we wait in expectation for the fulfillment of your promises. In the strong name of Christ we pray. AMEN






* (by Charlie Hall (c) 2000 worshiptogether.com songs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqSNDWC2yn8
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px2dDZO2WZ4

No comments:

Post a Comment