Sunday, August 23, 2009

There is a time... to mourn

1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance...
(Ecc. 3 NIV)

Time, like an ever rolling stream, bears all who breathe away;
they fly forgotten, as a dream dies at the opening day.
(Isaac Watts, "O God Our Help in Ages Past")

This week it seems I am reminded of the grief of life. Through Facebook I was talking with an out-of-state friend and found out his mother died in 1996 and his sister in 2000. And tonight I visited an "old lady friend" of mine who at age 87 is in an assisted living home because of dementia. Her body may not be dying yet, but her mind is giving out. A good friend is celebrating her husband's first "heavenly birthday" today. And in a different way, I find the approach of fall somewhat difficult because it seems like nature is little by little dying. Just like I know that my friends who are believers in Christ will be saved to heaven, I know that (most likely) there will be spring after this upcoming winter. And, I know what Solomon wrote: there is a time for everything. This includes living -- and dying.

I have been humbled this year watching my friend walk this road of grief. Her husband died very unexpectedly and very young. Yet the next day at church and later at his funeral service she sang, praised, and worshipped with all her heart. Her heart for her husband may have been broken but her heart for God was calling out to him. Her seemingly unbounded faith and trust in God, even when it just didn't make sense, has been a challenge to my faith.

Would I be able to praise God if something happened to my husband? Would I be able to sing "You give and take away/Lord blessed be your name?"* Would I trust God enough to walk through the valley of the shadow of death, claiming God is comforting me? I am not sure I could and I hope I don't have to find out.

And yet, I believe God is bigger, stronger, and more merciful than we can understand.

This morning we sang a Matt & Beth Redman song "You Never Let Go" that I have held onto at different points this past year:

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
Your perfect love is casting out fear
And even when I’m caught in the middle of the storms of this life
I won’t turn back
I know You are near

And I will fear no evil
For my God is with me
And if my God is with me
Whom then shall I fear?
Whom then shall I fear?

Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me

And I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
A glorious light beyond all compare
And there will be an end to these troubles
But until that day comes
We’ll live to know You here on the earth
(2005 Thankyou Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing))

He hasn't let go of my friend who lost his mom and sister. He hasn't let go of my friend who is grieving her husband. He hasn't let go of my friend with dementia. And he won't let go of me (or you) when we walk through the shadows of death or the storms of this life.


So we pray:


You, Lord, are our shepherd; we have all that we need.
You let us rest in green meadows; you lead us beside peaceful streams.
You renew our strength.
You guide us along right paths, bringing honor to your name.
Even when we walk through the darkest valley,
we will not be afraid, for you are close beside us.
Your rod and your staff protect and comfort us.
You prepare a feast for us in the presence of our enemies.
You honor us by anointing our heads with oil.
Our cup overflows with blessings.
Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue us
all the days of our lives, and we will live in the house of the L
ord forever.
(Psalm 23 NLT, alt.)
One thing we ask of you, LORD,
this is what we seek:
that we may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of our lives,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to seek you in your temple.
(Psalm 27:4 NIV, alt.)
O Holy Spirit, you're our comforter, strengthen us, guide us, grant us mercy.
Bless those who are poor in spirit so they can gain the kingdom of heaven.
Bless those who mourn, that they would know your comfort.**
Pour peace over the grieving we pray, in the strong name of our merciful Christ,
Amen



* "Blessed Be Your Name" - Matt & Beth Redman 2002 Thankyou Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
** Matthew 5:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment