Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What if I am a fool?

Last week in a conversation on a blog about valuing human life, this comment was made about Jesus and the Golden Rule:

"Him who coined the phrase, as well as thousands of other philosophers across time, societies, continents and history…."

My understanding of Jesus is that he's not just another philosopher across time, but is the unique Son of God, fully human and fully divine, unique in human history and unique for eternity.

But this comment brought to the forefront the reality of Christian apologetics (defending the faith) in today's society. And led me to a couple of Nicole Nordeman songs. [LOVE her stuff!]


"What If?" by Nicole Nordeman

What if you're right?
And he was just another nice guy
What if you're right?
What if it's true?
They say the cross will only make a fool of you
And what if it's true?

What if he takes his place in history
With all the prophets and the kings
Who taught us love and came in peace
But then the story ends
What then?

But what if you're wrong?
What if there's more?
What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
What if you jump?
And just close your eyes?
What if the arms that catch you, catch you by surprise?
What if He's more than enough?
What if it's love?

What if you dig
Way down deeper than your simple-minded friends
What if you dig?
What if you find
A thousand more unanswered questions down inside
That's all you find?

What if you pick apart the logic
And begin to poke the holes
What if the crown of thorns is no more
Than folklore that must be told and retold?

You've been running as fast as you can
You've been looking for a place you can land for so long
But what if you're wrong?


What if all the religious stuff in the world is all bunk? What if it's just blowing in the wind? What if the faith I choose to believe in is all just a waste of time and energy? What if there is no God?

But what if there is?


On some level, I know that being a Christian takes faith to believe in the mysteries of God. It does not and will never make sense from a purely rational/thinking level. But I know that the Holy Spirit was, is, and continues to draw God's children to God through Jesus Christ. And while I pray for this blogger to come to faith, I also realize, I look foolish to believe in such things. But I do. (At least most of the time!)


"Fool for You" by Nicole Nordeman

There are times when faith and common sense do not align,
when hardcore evidence of you is hard to find,
and I am silenced in the face of argumenative debate,
it's a long hill it's a lonley climb. Maybe it's true.

CHORUS:
Cause they want proof,
They want proof of all these mysteries I claim,
Cause only fools would want to chant a dead man's name.
I would be a fool for you all because you asked me to.
A simpleton who's seeming naive,
I do believe You came and made Yourself a fool for me.

I admit that in my darkest hours I've asked what if,
What if we created some kind of man made faith like this,
Out of good intention or emotional invention,
and after life is through there will be no You.

Cause they want proof of all these miracles I claim,
Cause only fools believe that men can walk on waves.
Maybe it's true.

Unaware of popularity,
and unconcerned with dignity,
You made me free.
That's proof enough for me.

I would be a fool for You,
Only if You asked me to,
A simpleton who's only thinkingz of,
The cause of love.

I will speak Jesus name,
and if that makes me crazy,
they can call me crazed,
I'm happy to be seemingly naive,
I do believe You came and
made Yourself a fool for me.


18For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written:
"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."
(1 Cor. 1:18-19, Isa. 29:14 NIV)


Put very simply, my prayer is this:

Lord, help us have courage, wisdom, and strength to be fools for you. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment