Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Freedom

Today is Veteran's Day, usually a day which goes by with a quick internal recognition of the price generations have paid for these United States -- and a grumble about the Post Office or Bank being closed for the day. But for several days I've been thinking about freedom - both cultural/societal as a U.S. citizen and that freedom we gain from Christ. I will save my strong concerns about our freedom as US citizens for another blog. Instead, I will, too, thank God for the men, women, and families who have fought, served, and persevered in order to maintain these United States.

But, because my citizenship on earth is relatively temporary and I have a permanent citizenship as part of Jesus' family, my thoughts and prayers head in that direction. Jesus said, "So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." (John 8:36 NIV) My first freedom - and therefore my first allegiance - must be to Christ. Tommy Walker said it this way (and I agree):, "My allegiance and devotion, my heart's desire and all emotion go to serve the Man who died upon that tree"*. After all, "the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." (2 Cor. 3:17 NIV) So, Spirit, grant me your freedom.


As we know, though, there are still many who live without freedom, especially spiritual freedom. And we are called, at least in part, to proclaim that freedom to those in bondage:

"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners..." (Isa. 61:1 NIV)


You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature ; rather, serve one another in love. (Gal. 5:13 NIV)


Maker, Father, Savior, Redeemer, Restorer, Rebuilder, Rewarder,Free-er:

All praise to you, Lord God for the beauty of your Creation and we, your Created.

With thanks we remember our freedom from death and sin. Thank you for the gift of grace.

Spirit of the Lord, be present and give us our spiritual freedom.
May we preach the good news to the poor in spirit.
May we help to bind up the brokenhearted and proclaim freedom for the captives and release for the prisoners.
May we serve each other in love.
May all our allegiance and devotion go to serve Christ, in whose name we pray.

Amen.




*("Only A God Like You," (c) 2000 Integrity's Praise! Music).

No comments:

Post a Comment