Friday, June 11, 2010

Jars of Clay - part 1


Reckless words pierce like a sword,
but the tongue of the wise brings healing. (Prov. 12:18 NIV)

7But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. (2 Cor. 4 NIV)

3 So I went down to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel. 4 But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him." (Jer. 18 NIV)


So, perhaps you are like me: God is still working with us to form us into the image of Christ. I've had two incidents this week in which I've recognized God challenging me to see things or do things his way - not mine. Each time I feel kind of low for even needing to be reminded - again - of this particular character flaw. But, each time, I need to come back to receive God's grace.

Early in the week I was talking to a friend whose opinion and faith I deeply respect. I was trying to have this phone conversation at the same time I was trying to convince two rather reluctant preschoolers they MUST lay down for a nap. Needless to say, it was not good timing on my part. But, as my friend's time was limited I tried to squeeze in the conversation anyway.

What I write about today was that I snapped at my children "in front of" (as I was talking with) my friend. I know that God wants us to lovingly steer our children in his direction (ie "discipline") and that rest is a good thing. But, I also know the tone of voice I used and, to a lesser degree, the words were not loving and kind. Because I believe that my children are gifts of God, I know I must be careful to steward these precious gifts - these precious souls. And so I had to ask God for forgiveness, again, for using unkind language with my children.

And then I realized I was more concerned with what my friend thought of me than with what I had just said to my children. Of course, I don't want her to think poorly of me, but I can't control her response - just my actions. And she is an adult; someone who knows it's hard work to raise kids and that sometimes are better than others. On the other hand I had to come back to asking God for for forgiveness when I was too interested in what she thought of me - and not as concerned with what tiny seed I may have inadvertently sown in my children's spirits.

I am a work in progress - a jar of clay being molded by the Potter into whatever he wants. So, daily, I have to come back to God:

I ask You: "How many times will You pick me up,
When I keep on letting You down?
And each time I will fall short of Your glory,
How far will forgiveness abound?"

And You answer: "My child, I love you.
And as long as you're seeking My face,
You'll walk in the power of My daily sufficient grace." ("Grace" by Laura Story)

So, God, forgive us for the times our words have hurt others. Help us walk in the power of your daily sufficient grace. Help our words be kind and wise and sow seeds of love and grace. Help us forgive ourselves when we stumble and trust you for forgiveness. In the all-sufficiency of Christ we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment