Friday, June 11, 2010

Jars of Clay - part 2

3 So I went down to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel. 4 But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him." (Jer. 18 NIV)

7But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. (2 Cor. 4 NIV)

1 Not to us, O LORD, not to us
but to your name be the glory,
because of your love and faithfulness. (Ps. 115 NIV)


I was convicted several years ago when I heard a devotion on the first part of the book of Malachi when he chastises the people for bringing blemished sacrifices to the Lord. I was challenged to always give my best offering of worship.

This past Sunday I led worship at our church since our worship leader was on vacation. I was very excited about this opportunity, we'd had a great mid-week rehearsal, and the service itself went well. By that I mean that I had worshipped well, I believe the team had, and that the Holy Spirit was present in the church's worship. In addition I had several people come up to me with some nice compliments (which are always good to hear). So, overall, I thought the day went well.

Later in the week I asked the pastor if he had any critique to offer. His only comment was that some people had said the service was "more conservative" than normal. He framed it in the sense of them really liking the more conservative and that it just shows that there are several acceptable streams of style of worship in the congregation.

Even with his positive comments I found myself grumpy at the perceived criticism. What does it mean to be more conservative? Am I too old to do this? (I'm not yet 40.) Is my style too old?

Then God challenged me again: Is worship about you or about me?? Did you give me your best offering of worship? Were you faithful and fruitful? If my worship is for God and not me, if I give him my best offering, and if I am faithful to my calling, then I believe God is pleased.

I am such a work in progress - so far to go to become Christ-like. His treasure of me is, indeed, in a jar of clay that the Potter keeps working on over and over. Thank God!


Not to us, God, but to you be all the glory. Your love and faithfulness endure forever and we are grateful that your grace is all sufficient. Thank you for calling us to be worshippers and for receiving our offerings of worship. Please continue to be faithful to your promises and to never let go of us. Continue to challenge us, to mold us as a potter molds a jar, and to draw us close to you. In Jesus' name we pray, amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment