Monday, June 28, 2010

Storms and resurrection

1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."

4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,

6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.

9 If you make the Most High your dwelling—
even the LORD, who is my refuge-

10 then no harm will befall you,
no disaster will come near your tent.

14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.

15 He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.

16 With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation." (Ps. 91 NIV)



I have had a lifelong fear of storms that has only somewhat abated as an adult. Growing up in Central Illinois meant experiencing some nasty, green-yellow-black thunderstorms and the not-so-rare tornado. I remember spending many thunderstorms cowering on the floor under my parents' bed, seeking safety. These last handful of days have seen several storms go through West Michigan, some with tornadoes, and all waking my young children up - children who have the same fears I had of storms.

This weekend I got to thinking about storms and how they can have good results. An average thunderstorm usually brings rain which is generally good for the land and crops. A severe storm can be good when it pulls down dead limbs or trees or makes room for new growth. Even a storm that creates massive human devastation can have long term "good" results, if you think in the "all things work together for good for those that love God..." vein.*

Our lives often have metaphorical storms - an illness, a life-changing decision, a betrayal, socio-economic upheaval, etc. Some of those storms come as a result of our choices and others are a result of our circumstances. These types of storms are never fun when you are in them, but when we entrust our lives to God, at least we have hope that the storm will not last forever and that after the storm there will be new life and new growth.

This weekend I saw Nicole Sponberg in concert and she sang one of her signature songs, "Resurrection." I've found that when I'm going through a time of storm or when I've just come through one, I have a sense of needing renewal and resurrection. Maybe you've had this same experienced need or maybe you know someone who is there right now. If so, take some time to savor this song and pray the lyrics for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOEGPQZWlR4

I'm at a loss for words, there’’s nothing to say
I sit in silence wondering what led me to this place
How did my heart become so lifeless and cold
Where did the passion go?

When all my efforts seem like chasing wind
I've used up all my strength and there’s nothing left to give
I've lost the feeling and I'm down to the core
Can't fake it anymore

Here I am at the end I'm in need of resurrection
Only you can take this empty shell and raise it from the dead
What I’ve lost to the world what seems far beyond redemption
You can take the pieces in your hand and make me whole again

I'm at a loss for words, there’s nothing to say
I’ve used up all my strength and there’s nothing left to give
How did my heart become so lifeless and cold
Can’t fake it anymore

Here I am once again I'm in need of resurrection
Only you can take this empty shell and raise it from the dead
What I’ve lost to the world what seems far beyond redemption
You can take the pieces in your hand and make me whole again

You can take the pieces in your hand and make me whole again


God, thank you for being the rock and shelter in the time of storm. Thank you for the renewal that comes from the storms of life. Thank you for being faithful to your promises and your people. God, for the places in our lives we need resurrection and renewal, give us courage to let you do that work. God, for the people in our lives who need healing, renewal, or salvation, we pray your will would be done. God, we pray for places that are empty shells - raise them from the dead, make us whole again. In the name of Christ we pray, Amen.


* 28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (Rom. 8:28 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment