Tuesday, August 24, 2010

For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost." (Lk. 19:10 NIV)


The King Is Coming

Oh the King is coming
The King is coming
I just heard the trumpet sounding
And now His face I see
Oh the King is coming
The King is coming
Praise God He's coming for me*


This summer I started reading daily devotions from a book of Martin Luther's writings, "Faith Alone," edited by James C. Galvin. I want to better understand the Lutheran theology that's so influenced our world and the heritage passed down to the church our family joined three years ago. Plus I recognize Luther as a great biblical scholar and theologian and I wanted some good substance to read.

Several days ago I came to reading I couldn't quite get past, so I've been "stuck" there. I share it with you as a prayer - that God would help us to really, truly, fully "get" this thing called grace.

..."If we're to receive it at all, God's grace and his kingdom with all its virtues must come to us. We will never be able to go to him. In the same way, Christ came to us - from heaven down to earth. We didn't go up to him from earth to heaven..." (August 14)


God, thank you for seeking and saving us. Thank you for revealing yourself to each of us, especially after we have turned away from you. We know we could never be able to reach you and we praise you for loving us so much you came - and will come again - for us. Help us to understand in the depths of our being that we cannot do anything to get to you. Help us to trust you from the depths of our being and to live in the wonder of your grace poured out on us and through us. Help that gift of grace be shared with all those around us for your honor and glory. May your Kingdom come and your will be done. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.



* CCLI Song No. 3477
© 1970 William J. Gaither, Inc. ARR UBP of Gaither Copyright Management
Charles Milhuff | Gloria Gaither | William J. Gaither



No comments:

Post a Comment