Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Pray? Me?

Earlier this week I was struggling with an unsettled feeling.  I think I was starting to get overwhelmed by the enormity and seriousness of the spiritual war we are in.  Who am I to pray in that war?  I'm not a prayer warrior, only someone who (at least recently) calls people to pray.  I don't have extensive experience (well, really almost none) in warrior prayer.  "If you can use me, Lord, use me," is about what I have to offer.  But if Jesus can use tax collectors, prostitutes, fishermen, etc., he can use me.

Then I was quiet and meditating on this and realized that God can use each and every prayer.  Just as in the Church there are many members who have many widely varying gifts, all are used for serving Christ's body.  And just as there are many types of prayer, each prayer prayed with a sincere heart and as the Spirit leads is necessary and worthwhile.  So, even mine - and yours -  is a sweet sound in God's ears.  We shouldn't neglect to pray because we think we aren't worthy; in Christ we are worthy and our voices should join with the companies of heaven to intercede for this world.

Sometimes, we all have to pray even as we work.  Nehemiah assigned the workers who were rebuilding the wall to always have a weapon in hand for defense - this is a model for today.  No matter what our work is, we should carry our weapon (prayer).  Not every workman on the wall was an expert in wall building, but still they built.  Not every prayer is prayed by an expert.  But each worker counts.  And every prayer counts.

As we strive to grow and get stronger in Kingdom work and in prayers, God will take what we offer.  But let's keep striving to strengthen our offering.  Prayer warriors come in all sizes, shapes, and capacities.   But every prayer and every pray-er is critical in the spiritual war we are in.

No comments:

Post a Comment