Tuesday, July 7, 2009

God's courage in the midst of battles around us

This is my prayer in the desert
When all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in my hunger and need
My God is the God who provides


This is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flame


This is my prayer in the battle
When triumph is still on its way
I am a conqueror and co-heir with Christ
So firm on His promise I'll stand


I will bring praise
I will bring praise
No weapon formed against me shall remain
I will rejoice
I will declare
God is my victory and He is here* 


As I look around I see a lot of fighting in many and various ways -- economic, political, of course, but also the ongoing battle for families and souls.  The top two leaders of a west African nation were assassinated last week, leaving a vacuum in leadership; what fight will that lead to?  The president's "stimulus" packaged has passed and the social-engineering budget is on the table; conservatives are just beginning to get organized; what fight will that lead to?  States who have handled their finances relatively well are going to get tired of bailing out black holes like California, Michigan, Illinois, and New York; what fight will this lead to?  And, we all know of battles within marriages, within families, in schools and communities, and of course churches.  

But, no matter what, God is faithful and strong and has already won the war with darkness.


"This is what the LORD says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's." (II Chron. 20:15 NIV)


 10-12God is strong, and he wants you strong. So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we'll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels.  13-18Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out. (Eph. 6 MSG)


God of power and might, grace and glory, strength and mercy, give us discernment to see these battles as you do - to know which to fight in your strength and which to walk away from.  Give us courage to stand up, speak, and love with conviction in the midst of the battles in our culture.  Help us not be afraid or discouraged, but ready and willing to trust you and the weapons you have given us - truth, righteousness, peace, faith, salvation - as we encounter challenges in this life.  And give us hearts of joy, no matter what so that we may claim, "I am pressed but not crushed, persecuted not abandoned, struck down but not destroyed; I am blessed beyond the curse, For His promise will endure [and] His joy's gonna be my strength."**  Help us be men and women full of your grace and power who do great wonders and miraculous signs among the people.  (Acts 6:8)  May your kingdom come and your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.  In the strong name of Christ we pray, Amen. 



*("Desert Song" By Brooke Fraser, (c) 2008 Hillsongs)

                                                      (You can watch this at:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=QemZQKKJbRU )

**"Trading My Sorrows" by Darrell Evans (c) 1998 Integrity's Hosanna Music


No comments:

Post a Comment