Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Going to the place God will show us

"This world has nothing for me...I will follow you..."  *

God told Abram to pack up his household and go to the place "I will show you." 

Jesus called to the disciples, "Come follow me."  And they left their nets and followed. 


Tonight I talked with friends who are preparing to move out of state because his factory has been closed here and they are hoping to have a job in Virginia.  They have both been a lifelong residents of this area.  Yet, they are prepared to uproot their lives, move away from families and friends, resettle four children (including one in high school and one in middle school), and start over in a brand new place.  But she's told me they have great peace about moving out there.  In fact, both their teenagers are excited (and THAT has to be a work of God, right??!!)  It's like God is saying "pack and go to the place I will show you.  The economy certainly isn't "calling" them to Virginia, like God was calling Abram, but this may be a time when God is calling them to a new field of ministry.  And they are willing to go.

We've probably each been through times in our lives where God has called us to GO but not told us where we are going.  Or we may be discerning now what God's call is or how to follow him.   Our church is searching for a new pastor...what if this isn't a "simple" pastor hire?  What if God's call is more involved to us -- maybe to "pack up" the way we've been doing ministry and "go" to a place God will show us?  I don't know that for sure, but sometimes the simplest invitation - "Come, follow me" - can have the most profound impact on our lives.  

So my prayer for this week...

God of Provision, Wisdom, and Perfect Timing,

Help us seek first your Kingdom
Help us listen to your Wisdom and put it into practice
Help us know the plans you have for our future, a future with hope
Help us trust you when we are walking through the chaos of decision making
Help us to be patient and recognize that your strength will hold us up when we are waiting for direction
Help us be willing to quit what we are doing and then follow you when you call us to a new place
We need you, Jesus, to come to our rescue; where else can we go?
Capture us with grace; we will follow you...
Maranatha, Lord Jesus, come guide our feet into your paths of righteousness
Holy Spirit, come, refresh, revive, restore, comfort, and whisper peace into our storm-tossed souls.
May our words, thoughts, and deeds be pleasing and acceptable to you, our Rock and Redeemer.
Amen.


Genesis 12 (NIV)

The Call of Abram
 1 The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you.

 2 "I will make you into a great nation 
       and I will bless you; 
       I will make your name great, 
       and you will be a blessing.

 3 I will bless those who bless you, 
       and whoever curses you I will curse; 
       and all peoples on earth 
       will be blessed through you."

 4 So Abram left, as the LORD had told him...


Matthew 4:18-20 (New International Version)

The Calling of the First Disciples
 18As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." 20At once they left their nets and followed him.


* "Rescue"

You are the source of life
And I can't be left behind
No one else will do
And I will take hold of You

My heart is Yours for life
I need Your hand in mine
No one else will do
I put my trust in You

'Cause I need You Jesus
To come to my rescue
Where else can I go
There's no other name
By which I am saved
Capture me with grace
I will follow You

I will follow You
This world has nothing for me
I will follow You
This world has nothing for me



CCLI Song No. 4084763
© 2003 Vertical Worship Songs (Admin. by Integrity Music, Inc.)
Jared Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment