Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Rising in freedom

There's a peace I've come to know
Though my heart and flesh may fail
There's an anchor for my soul
I can say it is well

In the last few months one set of themes around me have been about love, grace, and freedom.  This past Sunday we visited a church finishing up a series on "Setting the Captives Free," where, as a part of the service, they had 40 individuals and couples walk across the platform, each carrying a large cardboard sign explaining what they had been freed from on one side and their current state on the other (like a "then" and "now"). For instance - "One week from divorce" became "Strong, growing marriage;" "Abortion 9-21-83" became "Son born 8-26-91"; "Alcoholic in college" became "40 years sober."  

(And) I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow no more pain
I will rise on eagle's wings
Before my God fall on my knees and rise
I will rise

And, isn't that what Easter is about?  We are freed from the chains of sin and death.

Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead

6 "I, the LORD, have called you in righteousness; 
       I will take hold of your hand. 
       I will keep you and will make you 
       to be a covenant for the people 
       and a light for the Gentiles,

 7 to open eyes that are blind, 
       to free captives from prison 
       and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness.  (Isa. 42 NIV)


So, this is my prayer for us this week:

Bondage-breaking God, we pray you would free us from any ongoing fears, shame, depression, sin, or anything that inhibits us from flying free. Grace-giving, God, help us know love, joy, and freedom through Christ.  El Shaddai, All-Sufficient, help us to hold on to the hand of our Savior and be a Light to those around us.  Omnipotent, Holy, and Loving God, be honored in our ministries.
Amen. 



"I Will Rise" - CCLI Song No. 5183450
¬© 2008 Vamos Publishing | worshiptogether.com songs | sixsteps Music | Thankyou Music | spiritandsong.com (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing) | (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing) | (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing) | (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing) | (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
Chris Tomlin | Jesse Reeves | Louie Giglio | Matt Maher

No comments:

Post a Comment