Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Love, just love?

 
I've been doing some musing (as usual) about living life in our times and in the midst of the huge geo-social-political changes going on.  I've heard it said in the US there is a strong "culture war" between the more conservative (and often Judeo-Christian) elements and the not-conservative (including secular humanist) elements.  And, of course if Job taught us anything, we know we do not see the spiritual war that is constantly going on. 
 
I have come to wonder, though, even if we are living in the last, Last Days,even if the Evil is just going to strengthen and the AntiChrists gain power,even if the secular humanists largely have their way with our society, even if the radical Islamisists continue to push for violence and bloodshed, even if.... you get the idea....  if we still have one weapon in our spiritual arsenal that they don't have.  We have empowerment by the Holy Spirit.  We have a God who is our Provider and Protector.  We have a firm foundation for eternity with Christ.  

But the weapon I'm referring to when waging these spritual wars is one I don't think other religions (including secular humanism) have.  Love.
 
Sounds too simple?  Maybe.  Maybe not.
 
What if we Christians really were known for loving each other and the people around us?  What if we loved the unlovable?  What if we loved our enemies enough to pray for them?  What if we loved people enough that they made good choices for their lives?  What if we Christians weren't known for fighting gays and abortion, but were known for loving gays and people affected by abortion?  What if, in the words of an old song, they really did know we are Christians by our love?
 
One of the new songs at our church is Michael W. Smith's "New Hallelujah."  The second verse especially caught me, and fits in well with our coming celebration of Pentecost:
 
Let us sing love to the nations                       [our nation!]
Bringing hope of the grace that has freed us
Make it known and make Him famous
Sing it out, sing a new hallelujah
 
Arise, let the church arise
Let love reach to the other side
Alive, come alive
Let the song arise*

Somehow, this whole LOVE - thing is wrapped up in our empowerment as the chosen, saved, loved, children & friends of God. 


 15"If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. 18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."   (John 14: NIV)
 
 
I know this is a topic that we who have been around the Church awhile have heard plenty of times.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, we should love each other, blah blah blah.  Or, yes, I'm guilty of failing at that too.  Or we find the word or action of "love" weighed down from baggage the world or our lives have attached to it.  Not to dismiss any of these things, but maybe, just maybe (and me included) we need to hear this call again:  Jesus loves us, this we know.... Maybe, just maybe, it's that simple.  Go out and tell people God loved them so much, he died for them and wants to show them his love.
 
So, since you may be wondering when I'm going to get to "that praying part" of "prayer for this week," here goes:
 
 
Show the wonder of your great love, you who save by your right hand those who take refuge in you from their foes. 
 
We're leaping and singing in the circle of your love; 
      you see our pain, 
      you disarm our tormentors, 
Hour by hour we place our days in your hand, 
      safe from the hands out to get us. 
   Warm us, your servants, with a smile; 
      save us because you love us. 

What a stack of blessing you have piled up 
      for those who worship you, 
   Ready and waiting for all who run to you 
      to escape an unkind world. 
   You hide them safely away 
      from the opposition. 
   As you slam the door on those oily, mocking faces, 
      you silence the poisonous gossip. 
   Blessed God
      His love is the wonder of the world. 

Show us your unfailing love, O LORD, and grant us your salvation. 
 
Holy Spirit, empower us to love.  Free us from guilt, pain, shame, or anything else that sidelines us from acting with love in this world. For your honor and glory and for the sake of your Name.  Amen.
 
And a final thought from Psalm 31:
 
 24 Be brave. Be strong. Don't give up. Expect God to get here soon.

Maranatha; Lord Jesus Come....

Amen and amen.

 

 
[from Ps. 85:7 NIV, Ps. 17:7 NIV, from Ps. 31 MSG - adapted]
 
 
"New Hallelujah" 
*By Debbie Smith
Michael W. Smith
Paul Baloche
Copyright2008 Smittyfly Music (Admin. by Word Music Group, Inc.)
Word Music, LLC (a div. of Word Music Group, Inc.)
This Is Your Time Music 
Leadworship Songs (Admin. by Integrity Music, Inc.)
Integrity's Hosanna! Music

No comments:

Post a Comment