Thursday, July 30, 2009

Great Big Rocks or Good Medium Rocks?

Today I was walking with a good friend of mine and we were talking about decisions each of us make, especially with regard to activities to participate in. It seems like our world just keeps getting busier, partly because of external demands placed upon us, but partly because we put things upon ourselves. "I want a new house. The school needs someone to coordinate the volunteer reading program. I want to lose weight. The little league team needs a coach. I want a baby. The band needs a fundraising chairperson. I should eat better. I should do this. I should do that." A lot of these things are good things. It's good to exercise for health and to lose weight. It's good to help kids learn to read. But if we have too many "goods" in our lives, we may not have room for the "greats."

I've head it said that "if the Devil can't make us bad, he'll make us busy" and "the enemy of Great is Good". Several years ago I read Steven Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. One of those habits is "Put First Things First." Know what your priorities are and put them in your plans first.

He used the illustration of the 'Big Rocks': the most important things should be the Big Rocks of your time and energy - the "greats" (time with God, time with spouse, etc.) in your priority list. If you put these things in first, then you still have space for other things. After the 'Big Rocks' you add other medium and smaller things - everything from going to a class to balancing the checkbook. Finally, to your "jar" of priorities you add "sand" and then "water" - for me, things like washing dishes (ugh) and cleaning the bathtub (double ugh). Notice, that if you fill up a "jar" with sand, water, and small rocks first there is not room for any of the Big Rocks - your first priorities. But, if you put the Great Things (GOD things!) first, there's always room left for other things. Those other things may be Good Things, just fewer of them.

Are we too busy? Too busy with "good" things that we can't do the "great" things God may be calling us to?

I don't know about you but I constantly fight with myself to keep my First Things First and put my Big Rocks into my schedule so they get the energy and focus they deserve. On some level I know the dishes will get washed, the bathroom will get cleaned, but I keep having to remind myself that precious moments with my children - a GREAT THING in my life - will never be able to be recovered. I have to remind myself not to get distracted by Good Things, but instead to seek first the Great Things of God.



32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. (Matthew 6 NIV)

8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.9Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4 NIV)

13Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus. (1 Tim. 3 NIV)


God of Greatness,

As you have created us in your image, teach us to see as you see. Teach us to seek out that which is great in your eyes - that which is noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable. Give us courage and self discipline to do what is best for us, not just what feels right or the habits we fall into. Give us wisdom and discernment to know the most important things in our lives so that we may seek after these things. Bless us as we seek first your Kingdom and your righteousness.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment