Wednesday, December 23, 2020

December 23, 2020 Prayer - Idolatry

Lord God, 
You are Sovereign over all, Invincible, Omnipotent, and Omniscient.  You are jealous of our love and you are the light, salvation, refuge and fortress for those who seek you and your kingdom first.  You have rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of Light and we give you thanks and praise for your grace and mercy poured into us.  God, today we pray that nothing of this world would be come an idol in our lives - not money, prestige, power, careers, marriages, or even safety.  All these idols distract us and even destroy our ability to focus on you as the One True God, full of Grace and Truth.  Remind us that we trust in the "horses" or "chariots" of family, friends, possessions, or even government for our security that, while you can use any of these, our ultimate trust needs to be in You, not in the things of this world.  Give us pure hearts so we can worship and serve you fully as you make us to rest in the safety of your presence.  In Jesus's name we pray, Amen. 

"For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves." (Colossians 1:13)

" Fear the Lord your God, serve him only and take your oaths in his name. Do not follow other gods, the gods of the peoples around you; for the Lord your God, who is among you, is a jealous God and his anger will burn against you, and he will destroy you from the face of the land." (Deut. 6:13-15)

"Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
    but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.
They are brought to their knees and fall,
    but we rise up and stand firm." (Psalm 20:7-8)

"The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalm 27:1)

"Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.” (Psalm 91:1-2)

"In peace I will lie down and sleep,
for you alone, Lord,
make me dwell in safety." (Psalm 4:8)


No comments:

Post a Comment