Friday, September 25, 2020

September 25, 2020 Prayer



God,

Thank you for speaking the world into being at Creation and for guiding its people with your Word and your Spirit since that time.  We know there is power of life and death in the tongue, and we thank you for the Life you pour into us when we confess Jesus as Savior and Lord.  Today we pray for those in governance, media, and education to speak words of Life.  We pray that their words would be gracious and build others up as they speak hope.  Stop any perverse words, lies, or harsh words that crush the spirit or stir up anger toward other people or toward our nation.  Replace those thoughts and words with gentle words of healing, wisdom, godly knowledge, and discernment.  May all those in public positions speak words that build up this nation, not tear her down, and promote unity, kindness, and healing in her populace.  In Jesus's name we pray, Amen. 

The tongue has the power of life and death. (Prov. 18:21)

The words of the reckless pierce like swords,
but the tongue of the wise brings healing. (Prov. 12:18)

The soothing tongue is a tree of life, but a perverse tongue crushes the spirit. (Prov. 15:4)

A gentle answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.
The tongue of the wise adorns knowledge,
but the mouth of the fool gushes folly.
The soothing tongue is a tree of life,
The Lord detests the way of the wicked,
but he loves those who pursue righteousness.
The discerning heart seeks knowledge,
but the mouth of a fool feeds on folly. (Proverbs 15:1. 2. 4. 8, 14)

“When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place. I have chosen and consecrated this temple so that my Name may be there forever. My eyes and my heart will always be there." (2 Chronicles 7:13-16 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment